The Loom Band Craze


Before I start, I’d just like to apologise for the lack of posts since I started my blog. Recently I have been quite busy with schoolwork, but would love to post more- there will be lots to come!

During the month of June last year, a new frenzy hit the toy market: kits that allowed the user to assemble a bunch of rings of rubber into bracelets sparked an interest in children, leaving them eagerly anticipating the purchases made towards using different colours, opacities and even textures of the bands. They were simply everywhere- I saw them taking over shops, schools and the media. What was it about these rubber bands that thousands appeared to be so interested in? I thought I would have a go myself, quite intrigued by this creation, and share my experience with you… Hopefully, I will be able to help you decide on whether you all would like to purchase the product too, and perhaps inspire you on which bracelets are wanted to be made.

Although the original ‘Rainbow Loom’ product invented by a man named Cheong Choon Ng is the most popular buy, I have found that there are a lot of cheaper options available by different companies in a variety of stores, all functioning in basically the same way. I picked up a pink plastic loom from Buyology, costing only £3! Personally, I found this a very excellent price, as it also came with 300 bands in 10 different colours, two hooks and 30 S-clips, even though I suppose the negative aspect would be the fact that it isn’t a genuine ‘Rainbow Loom’. Two other packs of 100 bands were bought as well; one contained black and white rings of rubber, whilst the other was made up of metallic- looking bands that shone.


Before I jumped into the making process, I analysed the content of the product itself further. As you can see in the above photograph of my current entire collection, there are 39 pins on the ‘loom board’, where I assume all of the weaving together of the jewellery takes place. The solid, or opaque, bands that originally accompanied the board came in 13 bright colours: red, orange, dark yellow, light yellow, light green, dark green, light blue, dark blue, dark purple, violet and pink.


The pack of metallic bands, on the other hand, contained a range of 9 colours, these being: dark red, light red, yellow, light green, light blue, dark blue, purple, silver and gold (these final two I found especially interesting and thought that they could easily spice up a bracelet in a more sophisticated way!). In the photo, I tried to capture the difference between the shiny and matte bands; they are of course more noticeable when they catch the light, but overall I think they are an admirable extension of the toy kit. The band on the left is solid, and on the right is the metallic one. The only problem I have discovered concerning the bands themselves is the fact that some of the rubber rings differ quite greatly in size.

For example, these are two that show quite a large difference… However, I don’t think this is too much of an issue, as once again, they were offered for a very good price and this manufacturing error hasn’t occurred too often. Some of the colours used appear to fade over time too, the whites being especially noticeable as they yellow slightly, but, again, I don’t feel that this is a real problem.


Another important piece of the kit would be ‘S-clips’. These small, transparent components are used to fasten the bracelets together once you have created a chain of the linked bands in whichever design you like. I’ll probably find myself losing a bunch of these little guys, so it’s good they are plentiful! The hooks in the shop appeared to have been paired with the colour of the boards being random, so there are a large range of colour combinations to choose from.



The first design I aimed to start with was the most simple bracelet: a ‘single’. This super easy bracelet only used around 20 bands, and was made by placing the bands in a straight line across the loom with the pins facing away from you. Once the appropriate length has been reached, the board has to be rotated 180°, so the gap in-between the pins is facing the front. This is where the hooks come in handy! I have found that this part can be done without the use of them, but I’m assuming that when more complicated bracelets want to be created, it would definitely be a good idea to manoeuvre them in the making process. Each band has to be hooked on to the next, so you end up with a simple chain that can be linked together. I chose to alternate between two colours, but of course you can place them on the board however you wish!



The next design I was able to move on to is named the ‘fishtail’. It is constructed in a slightly different way to many of the other structures, as only two pins are needed, rather than most of the board being used. You can also make this using just your fingers, as making it simply consists of hooking bands over the pins and into the middle- there should always be at least two of them on the pegs.


The kit I had purchased unfortunately did not contain any other instructions on different designs of bracelet of further complexities- I feel that it could have been nice to see some more design ideas and inspiration, but as the product was sold for such a cheap price, I’m very impressed with the overall content! Using some designs from YouTube, a useful social media platform that contains free videos that are uploaded constantly across the globe including a variety of subjects, I was able to find lots of tutorials on making more complicated bracelets. Many channels have dedicated a lot of their videos to providing these ‘how-tos’, such as ‘Jasmine Starler’, ‘Loves2Loom’ and ‘SaraBeautyCorner’, who have all grown popularity with collectively over 850,000 subscribers! From left to right, the bracelets I made are called: ‘French braid’, ‘ladder’, ‘tidal wave’, ‘zippy chain’, ‘raindrop’, ‘shoelace’, ‘infinity’, ‘upsy daisy twisty wisty’, ‘fishtail’ and ‘single’.


These bracelets were even harder to make, with the bands sometimes snapping, requiring me to start the bracelets from scratch again. If this happens, try not to get too frustrated- if you’re careful, you can still achieve some brilliant designs and should be happy with the outcomes. Push through with persistence and patience! From left to right, these bracelet designs are called: ‘Butterfly blossom’, ‘flower power’, ‘triple single’, ‘confetti criss-cross’, ‘spirilla’, ‘bow’, ‘triple fishtail’, ‘woolly knot’ and ‘starburst’.

To conclude, I think it’s safe to say that I have joined the buzz of ‘loom-band-lovers’ and can see how so many are satisfied with making these accessories. It is a very fun, creative and sometimes challenging process in my opinion! The generally low pricing was an added bonus of this enjoyable pastime. In the future, I would like to advance into possibly making other accessories, like rings, charms and key-rings, for example, which range in difficulty levels.

I hope I helped- thank you so much for reading! I can’t wait to try more designs soon!

No comments